Hand therapy, provided by certified hand therapists, addresses not only traumatic injuries of the hand but also repetitive stress injuries of the entire upper extremity including carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow and rotator cuff injuries to name a few.
As such, hand physical therapy can involve not only the hand, but also the wrist, the forearm, the elbow, and even the shoulder.
RCI's certified hand therapist, Joe Kelly, OTR/L, CHT, has been practicing hand therapy for over 15 years and has extensive experience treating a wide array of upper extremity injuries. Using this knowledge and expertise to assess and plan a treatment program that is catered to your specific needs, we are able to help you with following postoperative and rehabilitative services:
- Protective custom splinting (can be fabricated on the premises during your visit)
- Management of open or sutured wounds
- Prevention of infection and assistance in healing
- Control of hypertrophic (raised or swollen) or hypersensitive (painful, sensitive) scars
- Reduction of swelling
- Regaining protected early motion
- Management of pain
- Design and implementation of exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity and/or strength
- Splint fabrication for protection and prevention of injury
- Treatment of abnormal sensitivity following nerve injury or trauma
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment
- Conditioning prior to return to work and normal home and sport activities
- Management of pain and weakness from overuse of hands/arms and retraining to prevent re-occurrence
Contact us about physical therapy for your hands. We'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have or schedule an appointment with one of our physical therapists.